Tuesday, July 29, 2008

First Day of School Excitement

So, in the true spirit of the nerd that I am, I have had one whole day away from summer school and I've found myself googling new activities for the first day of school. They have no cure for this illness of mine so I thought I'd just go with it. I actually found some really cool ones. Here are my favorites.

1. From Kim's Korner, make it all about you. Make a bulletin board about yourself. Include pictures.
2. Also from Kim's Korner, especially if some of the kids will already know you, have them fill out a KWL chart on you as you introduce yourself. (For those who have lived under a rock, this is a 3-column chart with the K column for things they KNOW about you W is for WHAT they want to know and L is for what they LEARNED.
3. KK continues with having the students "illustrate" free-form maps about her and a quiz the next day. It helps them learn how to map!
4. From Education World, use a variation of telling the students about your expectations about them to have them tell you their expectations for their teacher.
5. Also from EW, have the students fill out a questionnaire that becomes a time capsule that they compare at the end of the year.
6. How about laminating a large piece of paper and having each student sign in with one fact about them. During free time, the students can read the chart. Another EW jewel.
7. My TTF got a good one from her teacher...as each student enters the classroom, have them take as much "toilet paper" as they need...no other explanations. Now, they must write one fact about themselves to share on EACH square. Can be done with candy, too, but be careful of allergues. And TP is pretty cheap!
8. More HERE
9. And HERE for the new teachers on your staff
10. And finally HERE but skip past the ones you have to pay for to the links below

So, for all you teachers out there, enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. Ummm, yeah, I am not allowed to use toilet paper for any activities at school (other than its intended use) because it might encourage the kids to be mischeivious. I'm serious. I asked last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you serious? That is ridiculous. Give me a break. The kids LOVED it in summer school. Really got their attention. I may use this and hang it around the room. Now I just need a clever name for the display. "TP ID"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't even use it for pep rally games. I told you it was like being on survivor..

    Look and see what my fabulous husband did for me today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girlie...Saw you on Julie's blog and thought I would stop by yours. Glad to hear/read that summer school was great. Thanks for the cool school links. I am so excited for school to start that I can not even see straight! Tell Stephen "hi".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica,
    First and foremost, love the new look. One thing though, the white text on the yellow background is difficult to read. Other than that, LOVE it!

    Glad to see that summer school is over for you. Got some down time for at least a week or so right?

    Also very glad that you weren't killed the other day... I also would have paid big bucks to see you jump out and yell citizen's arrest. Don't think Stephen would have appreciated it that much, but it would definitely be classic Monica.

    Hope you are all doing well. I have a new blog. I emailed you the address but just in case here it is again.
    http://www.mom2mlb.blogspot.com/

    Don't think it linked it, but you can always highlight, copy, and paste.

    Love ya. Keep blogging. Love reading about what is going on with you and the fam since you guys are always so busy.

    Big hugs... Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't chosen the color and it took a bit for me to figure out how to change it, but Julie will be happy that I did it all on my own!

    Judy, you're on my list now. I've just been at Nik's games all week (see blog) so I hadn't had much time on the computer.

    ReplyDelete